Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Poem

A friend posted this on buzz a long while back. I wrote it down and I ran across it this week while cleaning out a drawer.

Thy way, not mine, O Lord,
However dark it be;
Lead me by Thine own hand,
Choose out the path for me.

Smooth let it be or rough,
It will be still the best;
Winding or straight, it leads
Right onward to Thy rest.

I dare not choose my lot;
I would not, if I might;
Choose Thou for me, my God,
So I shall walk aright.

Take Thou my cup, and it
With joy or sorrow fill,
As best to Thee may seem;
Choose Thou my good and ill.

Choose Thou for me my friends,
My sickness or my health;
Choose Thou my cares for me
My poverty or wealth.

The kingdom that I seek
Is Thine: so let the way
That leads to it be Thine,
Else I must surely stray.

Not mine, not mine the choice
In things or great or small;
Be Thou my guide, my strength
My wisdom, and my all.

--Horatious Bonar

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of another Horatious Bonar hymn - one of my favorites - "Not What My Hands Have Done" Here are the words:

    Not what my hands have done can save my guilty soul;
    Not what my toiling flesh has borne can make my spirit whole.
    Not what I feel or do can give me peace with God;
    Not all my prayers and sighs and tears can bear my awful load.

    Your voice alone, O Lord, can speak to me of grace;
    Your power alone, O Son of God, can all my sin erase.
    No other work but Yours, no other blood will do;
    No strength but that which is divine can bear me safely through.

    Thy work alone, O Christ, can ease this weight of sin;
    Thy blood alone, O Lamb of God, can give me peace within.
    Thy love to me, O God, not mine, O Lord, to Thee,
    Can rid me of this dark unrest, And set my spirit free.

    I bless the Christ of God; I rest on love divine;
    And with unfaltering lip and heart I call this Savior mine.
    His cross dispels each doubt; I bury in His tomb
    Each thought of unbelief and fear, each lingering shade of gloom.

    I praise the God of grace; I trust His truth and might;
    He calls me His, I call Him mine, My God, my joy and light.
    ’Tis He Who saveth me, and freely pardon gives;
    I love because He loveth me, I live because He lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was beautiful Deborah! Thanks so much for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete